Aziz Foundation Scholarship:
Developing Arts Management Professionals and Artists from British Muslim Communities
The Foundation is offering two Masters Scholarships for the 2018-19 academic year as described below. These scholarships offer a unique opportunity for exceptional British Muslims active in their communities and interested in how their needs may be met through the arts. The Aziz Foundation believes that communities rich in celebrating their arts and culture make confident communities – confident in their own identities and ready to reach out to contribute to society as a whole.
The successful applicants will be selected through an application and interview process managed by the Aziz Foundation directly. The scholarship will cover tuition and living expenses for a year, up to a maximum of £25,000 in total. The courses to be funded under each scholarship are wide-ranging and listed below.
- The Arts Management Scholarship
The objective of this scholarship is to support arts management professionals into positions of leadership. Successful candidates should demonstrate the ways they want to influence change in the arts sector and open it up to British Muslim communities and other disadvantaged groups.
- The Artists Scholarship
The objective of this scholarship is to assist individual Muslim artists and to help develop a pool of creatives in British Muslim communities who contribute towards producing a more vibrant British Muslim arts and culture scene.
The Foundation is keen, however, to support students who would like to pursue a career in the arts and culture domain that benefits all communities to help create a more cohesive Britain.
Students will additionally be supported through the Aziz Foundation’s Leadership Support Scheme (LSS) which will assist in developing their knowledge-base, personal qualities, leadership skills and professional networks. They will be matched with mentors to support and guide them during and after their study. They will further undertake two short placements with a community related or research organisation and a statutory sector agency respectively.
Applicants should meet all of the following requirements:
- Have or expect to have an offer on a Masters course from those listed below at a well-recognised and reputable institution;
- Be active within their local and/or Muslim faith community and demonstrate a desire to develop intellectual skills within a secular/multi-faith environment;
- Be able to demonstrate long-term commitment to community/societal development and good relations work through arts and culture;
- Be eligible for Home fee status.
If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply for this scholarship, please submit the following documents:
- An offer letter from a recognised and reputable British institution;
- A completed Aziz Foundation scholarship application form (which includes a statement of no more than 1,000 words setting out your understanding of the role of arts policy and practice in social inclusion, why you are intending to study this course, and how you hope to use this scholarship opportunity to develop your own practice and vision for making the arts more inclusive of Muslims and other disadvantaged communities).
- Your CV
- A copy of your course application (please keep a copy of this from when you submit the application);
Your scholarship application should be emailed to email@example.com, by 20 April 2018.
If called, please attend the interview with the Aziz Foundation. Reasonable travel expenses can be reimbursed on production of receipts. Interviews will normally be held in May.
Please note that we will only contact you if you have been successful for short-listing. If you do not hear from us, then please assume that in this instance your application has not been successful.
Applicants can apply for the above scholarships for the Masters courses listed below (or similar ones).
Arts Management Scholarship
Arts and Cultural Enterprise
Culture, Criticism and Curation
Curating & Collections
Design Management and Cultures
Illustration and Visual Media
The Aziz Foundation welcomes informal enquiries from candidates considering an application. Enquiries should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.